Sunday, January 5, 2014

Penang Food Adventure

Mini getaway to Penang before my brothers start schooling again. Gotta say I am so excited because I haven't been here for awhile. Anyway, these are the top few favourite and famous shops I visited in Penang this time.

1. Air Itam Asam Laksa
                             
The old man above is the maker of this mouthwatering Asam laksa. He totally own it. I am usually not a fan of Asam Laksa but this is really good. I don't fancy spicy food but this bowl was good enough to keep me eating despite the burning feeling in my mouth. 

                             
The soup was thick and full of flavour with the shredded fish. There is lot of vegetables and they taste good all together. The price a bowl was RM4.00 which was reasonable. It was quickly served and there wasn't much waiting. Definitely should try this out. :)

Air Itam Market
Pasar Road
11500 Air Itam Penang
GPS Coordinates: N05 24.072 E100 16.6773


2. Siam Road Char Kuay Teow



                  
One of my favourite food is Char Kuay Teow. This is one of the few famous Char Kuay Teow in Penang. I personally still prefer the Lorong Selamat Char Kuay Teow. The unique thing of this store which differentiate them from others is that it uses charcoal as their main source of fire. 

This plate contain variety ingredient such as the prawns, Chinese sausage, bah Yu pok (not sure what is it called in English), si ham and also vegetables. Only for RM5.50 for large The small one is RM4.00. It was a good plate of Char Kuay Teow despite it being a bit too oily. The prawn is crunchy and everything was just well done, not over cooked.

Be warned that the waiting time for it is long. I waited almost an hour before it came but for me, it was worth it as it was a good plate. If you are also looking for good coffee, you can order it at the restaurant where the food is served. They have really good coffee. :)




Siam Road, Penang
(Located near the Anson Road & end of Siam Road)
Open from Tuesday - Sunday, 2pm - 11.00pm
GPS Coordinates : N05 24.55 E100 19.134

3. Kheng Pin Cafe 
                               
The best Lobak everrrrrr. I have been eating here for years since I was really really young. The taste has never downgrade in fact it kept on taste better. It's quite often when a store become famous, they always become less tastier but this store has never had that. 

                              
Doesn't it look good ? Have to admit my camera is not really good. But I like how he doesn't over fry it and it taste just good. Crispy and delicious. Dipping into their homemade sauce just make it perfect. Whoever goes to Penang must definitely try this out.
                                
80 Penang Road,
Georgetown, Penang
Opens from 6.30am, Closed on Monday
GPS Coordinates: N05 25.019 E100 19.486


4. Char Kuey Teow at Lorong Selamat
                                   
The Lady Boss and her daughter in action. :) When I first went there, the lady boss was really fierce but after a few times she actually smile and was in a good. Be sure to be there after 11am if you want the Char Kuey Teow cook by her because her sister is usually cooking there before 11am.  

                  

Her Char Kuey Teow taste really good, I remember waiting for 1hr 30 minutes but if you are there early probably won't be that long. Her shrimp are big and crunchy and goes with the Kuey Teow. Although it's a bit stingy on the Chinese Sausage but you can request on adding on. The ingredient that makes is nice is that it contains a pickle vegetables called 'chai po'. It as extra taste to the Kuey Teow. Overall, I find this plate full of flavour and it's my favourite char Kuey Teow so far. 

Kafe Heng Huat

Lorong Selamat,
Georgetown, Penang
Closed on Tuesday
GPS Coordinates : N05 25.16 E100 19.294

5. Hameed Pata Mee Rebus & Goreng / Mee Sotong
                                    

                                    
This is pretty far from where I stayed but decided to try something different. There was a lot people queuing for it so it should be popular. It's located near Fort Cornwallis. 
                                     
Hameed Pata Mee Rebus

                                     
Hameed Pata Mee Goreng

They have two choices, one is the mee is boiled, a bit soupy and the other one fried. However, both plate were really spicy. So those who like spicy food would probably enjoy it. I had some but because it was really spicy so I did not eat much. However, I sort of like it because when I first ate it, it was sweet and sour then only it turn spicy. I guess the sauce is sweet while it was spicy due to the sotong. My brother said it was good as he likes spicy food. The price range from RM4.00 to RM6.00 so it was quite reasonable. Definitely could give it a try.

Padang Kota Lama Court (Next to Fort Cornwallis)
Jalan Padang Kota Lama,
Georgetown, Penang

Closed on Sunday
GPS CoordinatesL N05 25.200 E100 20.539

6. Gani Famous Pasembur
                                 
Another long queue stall. This was also located near fort Cornwallis but the other food court. My brother suggested to eat Pasembur so I started googling where is good and a lot of people recommended to come here. 
Their variety of ingredient that you get to choose from. But it's better to choose what u really like and not everything because it's going to cost you a bump.
                                

                                
It does look good isn't it? It taste equally good too. It's a big plate but in about 5 minutes it was already empty. My favourite part of this dish was the nutty sauce. It was sweet and not too spicy. It goes well with the ingredient. I would suggest to pick ingredient that are actually Rojak ingredient instead of just sausages, or fishball. However, I would say it is actually expensive because that plate cost me RM26.00.

Gani Penang Famous Pasembur

Medan Renong Padang Kota Lama,
Jalan Padang Kota Lama,
Georgetown, Penang
Opened every evening
GPS Coordinates : N05 42.2892 E100 34.0517

Well, I had other food but these are the ones I liked best. However, they say different have different taste so this is my personal preferences. =D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts